Peachtree Ridge High School acknowledges that good grooming and personal attire positively affect student achievement and conduct. Peachtree Ridge’s dress code is designed to reduce the likelihood of distraction or disruption and to maintain an academic focus in the classroom and on campus. Instruction is interrupted when a student has to be seen by an administrator because of inappropriate dress. If, in the judgment of the administration or staff, a student is dressed inappropriately, the student will be required to change clothing. Often, the student has to miss instructional time while waiting for a change of clothing to be brought to the school. Time out of class will be regarded as unexcused. Failure to comply will result in a discipline referral.
1. Headwear is prohibited and must be kept out of sight in the building. This includes, but is not limited to, hats, hoods, bandanas, wave caps, sweatbands, sunglasses, or any other head covering. No combs, rakes, curlers or picks can be worn in the hair. All items, if seen, may be confiscated; a parent may pick confiscated items up in the attendance office. Appropriate headwear is permitted during after school activities.
2. Inappropriate blouses/shirts should not be worn to school. This includes, but is not limited to: halter tops, strapless tops, spaghetti straps, low-cut, see through, or backless. Blouses or shirts which expose any portion of the waist, hips, midriff, ribs, or undergarments are not allowed. All students must wear shirts in P.E.
3. All shorts and skirts must be mid-thigh length or longer. Slits in skirts cannot be above mid-thigh. Shorts/skirts/pants must be worn so that no underwear shows. There should be no rips or holes above the knee. No leggings, spandex pants, see-through tights, or yoga pants worn alone or without appropriate outer garment.
4. Trench coats and blankets are not allowed at school. All other coats must be properly worn.
5. Health regulations and safety factors require that proper footwear be worn at all times.
6. No student clothing shall display words or symbols that advocate or depict violence, drugs, alcohol, sex, illegal gang affiliation or other illegal activity expressed or implied. No student clothing or accessories shall be disruptive or have caused past disruption to the school environment.
7. Jewelry or accessories that may be used as weapons are not allowed to be worn at school. This includes, but is not limited to, wallet chains, jewelry such as spiked rings, spiked bracelets, two or three finger rings that are joined, oversized belt buckles, and bulky chains worn around the neck or waist. Sharp objects that could pose a danger, such as spikes or safety pins, are not allowed on clothing or book bags.
8. Students are not allowed to display clothing or symbols that have been identified by the Gwinnett County Police Gang Taskforce as being commonly identified with gangs. Garments, jewelry, body art and tattoos that communicate gang allegiance are not allowed to be worn at school, and no item may be worn in a manner that communicates gang affiliation. Gang related attire includes but is not limited to the following: students rolling up one pant leg, long bulky chains and necklaces, gang-styled belt buckles (belt buckles which have Old English script letters and symbols), large oversized pendants on necklaces and chains, bandanas, altering clothing from its original form to change the names and/or intended marking on the clothing, sweatbands and/or headbands, and draping articles of clothing, towels, or other objects out of pants pockets or over the shoulder or neck area. This rule is subject to updates as additional apparel becomes identified as gang affiliated or disruptive.
9. Any student dress/appearance not specifically stated which the faculty or staff deems distracting will not be permitted. A student wearing clothing or accessories not described in these rules but which becomes distracting to the learning environment may receive a written warning in advance of any disciplinary action.
10. The principal or his/her designee may, for specific reasons, make individual exceptions to the Peachtree Ridge High School dress code.