State law requires school attendance for students ages 7 to 16. Gwinnett County Board of Education Policy states that students will be excused from school under the following circumstances:
1. Personal illness or illness/death in the immediate family.
2. Religious holiday.
3. Mandates by government agencies.
4. Service as a page in the General Assembly.
5. Military physical or doctor’s appointment.
6. Conditions rendering attendance impossible or hazardous
to student health or safety.
Parent notes will be accepted for up to seven (7) excused all-day absences per term and seven (7) check-ins or check-outs per term. Thereafter, the only excused reasons for absences, check-ins, and check-outs are those listed above and verified through the following formal documentation: Doctor or hospital notes, court or government mandated papers, funeral brochures or programs. Excused documentation should be submitted to the attendance office within two (2) days of returning to school.